I asked our resident skincare expert, Everlyn Ho of La Peau Day Spa in SoHo, what her top five recommendations were for keeping your skin healthy during the summer season. There is much you can do to protect your skin while getting other things done around the home. Here are her tips:
1) Stay hydrated. Between the heat and humidity of summers in New York, you and your skin need to stay hydrated, and it starts from within. Drink plenty of fluids. Your skin and your body will thank you. If you start feeling thirsty or feel the faint dullness of a headache coming on, you have not had enough hydration. It is your body’s way of telling you to drink something!
2) Cleanse your face before bed. After you remove your makeup for the evening, wash your face thoroughly one more time. A lot of residue still remains even after you have lifted away the colors. When you sleep, your pores tend to relax allowing a lot of the dirt, grime, and residue from makeup to settle into them.
3) Apply a moisturizing face mask 2-3 times a week. The frequency varies with skin type, but dry skin and oily skin both benefit from a moisturizing mask as both are signs of a moisture imbalance. For dry skin, there is a complete lack of both moisture and oil. For oily skin, the oil is trying to make up for the lack of moisture. If you don’t think you have the time, just put it on after you have washed your face for the evening, then, do other chores for the next 15 minutes like pack your lunch for the next day, update the family calendar, or write out your ‘honey-DO’ list.
4) Wear sunscreen. An SPF between 30 and 50 will last you about 3 hours before reapplication under the hot New York City sun. An SPF 15 will only last you about an hour. Continual sun damage will cause you to look older than you really are. You can still enjoy the summer sun, just don’t over do it. All you need is somewhere around 15 minutes of sun a day to create an adequate amount of vitamin D for healthy bones.
5) Get a facial. A professional spa facial helps you replenish nutrients directly into the skin. It will help you keep a healthy glow all summer long. You can get a spa facial 1-3 times a week, again, depending on skin type and need.
ADDED BONUS: Summer trends straight from the source: accent that side-pinned hair with juicy lip colors in cantaloupe or watermelon.